- 29th July
- 28th July
- 28th July
According to the news, local teens are pouring alcohol over their bare skin, setting themselves on fire, recording it, and posting it online. That this is a trend.
Many questions. Is this how self-harm is manifesting in some kids? Is it a cry for attention? Will the framing of this as a stupid new trend that kids are doing (which may be true for some) prevent others from seeing that for some kids this may be a huge cry for help?
High school teachers, are you seeing this at your schools? How is it being handled?
My friend is an assistant principal at a junior high and while self harm is an issue, it’s not this way. Yet, at least. However, the problem they had at the end of last year was using their ID lanyards to pretend to hang themselves at school to see who got closest to passing out. The doors had a hook to prop open from the top that they’d put the lanyards on so all of those hooks had to be removed over the summer.
- 28th July
1. I keep calling my new school to try to get in and set up my classroom but no one answers. I’ve left many messages with no return either. The custodian answered once and gave me his cell number and I called that too and now he doesn’t answer. I’ve got about two weeks with a few busy days where I won’t be able to go in which makes it less than ten days to see the room, move in and set up. I think I’m just going to show up tomorrow and see what’s going on because I’m starting to feel like I wasn’t hired..
2. Got a letter from the bank that my escrow account is short so I owe $1200. They just sent me a check, of course not that much, in like March because of an overage. Get your act together because I like getting checks but don’t like writing them. Adulting is dumb.
3. I finally see the naprapath tomorrow for my back. I’d been seeing my regular doc who has done adjustments but the last couple have made no difference other than relief that day. Unfortunately my regular naprapath retired so it’s someone new, but she came on a good rec so I’m hoping to finally be able to sit comfortably relatively soon.
4. I thought my next run (Biggest Loser run/walk) was further away, but it’s Sunday. I haven’t been able to run much in the last two months so it’ll be interesting. But at least you get the medal no matter what.
And some good to even out:
1. This weather has been awesome. 70s in July?! I’ll take it. Of course it’ll probably be 110 and humid in October but who cares. I’ll worry about that then.
2. Frank’s in the Hall of Fame. I’m bummed I couldn’t make the trip, even since I had friends going but I couldn’t be happier that the Big Hurt got his plaque. A trip to Cooperstown to see it is definitely in my future.
3. My dad found the 12 work shirts he thought my brother had put in the donation bag so I didn’t have to go rummage through bags with old people at the donation center I dropped them at last week. Phew.
4. There will be a few former contestants at he BL event on Sunday and Danny is one of them. He’s one of my faves. There’s also an expo on Saturday so hopefully there’s some fun to be had too.
- 27th July
- 1: What is your name and does it mean anything?
- ---Sara means princess. Chopper-two-hopper is a Hawkism for when the ball is hit and bounces twice before a fielder plays it.
- 2: How long have you known your best friend?
- ---Feels like forever.
- 3: What position do you normally sleep in?
- ---Third. I like to sleep like a ballerina.
- 4: Were you a part of any “clique” in high school?
- ---No. I hung out with all different friends based on sports, clubs and classes.
- 5: Who was your favorite teacher in high school and why?
- ---Mr. Peters. Because he called me "perf-ket" and bought me giant candy bars because I would pass his classes with like 120%.
- 6: Do you wish to travel a lot?
- ---I do. I manage to do a trip a year but would love to be able to do more. There's so much of the world that I want to see.
- 7: Did you participate in any sports while in school?
- ---Always. In grade school I cheered for a year, played soccer, basketball and volleyball for school then softball, tennis and soccer in the summer. In high school I played volleyball all four years, softball for two, soccer for two and bowled for two all for school then played softball in the summer. In college I played intramural volleyball. And since I started teaching, I still play indoor and sand volleyball. There were a couple years of slow pitch softball in there too. I like sports.
- 8: Show a sample of your handwriting:
- ---This takes effort of which I have none right now. Check my instagram, I wrote my Blog Hoppin sign.
- 9: Have you ever given blood?
- ---Yes. And in case you didn't know, if you faint, the Red Cross will call and check on you for a few months after so you don't sue them. Learned that the hard way.
- 10: Do you like the way that you grew up?
- ---I don't know anything different.
- 11: Do you like your siblings? Why or why not?
- ---He's alright. I like him when he pays for stuff but I don't like him when he doesn't follow through on stuff I ask him to do.
- 12: How did you meet your best friend and why did you become friends?
- ---I'm just going to do one of them. I met her when we were classroom next door neighbors when I taught 3rd grade. I think we became friends because of being next door neighbors and we were the only ones on that side and she'd pass her Bilingual kids over for testing and she was my mentor for the program.She also laughs at all my jokes so she's good to have around for that reason alone.
- 13: Name one movie that made you cry.
- ---I've never cried watching a movie.
- 14: Do you prefer to read poetry, write poetry, or neither?
- ---Probably read. Mainly during Poetry Month. I'm not that great of a poet.
- 15: Things about someone that you find attractive?
- ---Ambition. Humor. Effort.
- 16: What song are you currently listening to?
- ---I'm not.
- 17: Have you ever broken a bone? If so, how?
- ---I fractured a pinky playing flickerball in junior year gym class. I had to miss volleyball sectionals so it sucked quite a bit.
- 18: A random memory from your childhood:
- ---My first lunch box in 1st grade was purple with the Muppets on it.
- 19: Where did you grow up?
- ---The Island.
- 20: What was the last thing you watched on tv?
- ---I've been watching Nerd HQ stuff "on" my tv all day but it's not really tv so probably all the quality stuff I caught up on yesterday: Girl Meets World, Leah Remini's show, Welcome to Sweden.. Quality.
- 21: Do you think you’d make a good parent?
- ---I think being a teacher gives me a pretty good shot. And none of my friends' kids hate me so there's that.
- 22: Would you like to meet any of your Tumblr friends in person?
- ---I've been lucky enough to meet a handful of you but I'm totally up to meet more.
- 22: What was the last dream you remember having?
- ---It was mom related so I don't really want to talk about it.
- 23: When is your birthday?
- ---April 13.
- 24: How many pillows do you sleep with?
- 25: Do you wear glasses? If so, how long have you been wearing glasses?
- ---I do but not often. I mainly wear contacts. My first trip to the eye doctor was in second grade. Thanks a lot, Mrs. Craver..
- 26: What color is your hair?
- ---Dark brown.
- 27: Name 5 facts about your appearance:
- ---Flip flop tan lines. Neck scar from my gang days. Ponytail. Cusimano ears. Abs of steel* [*if steel was melted to a melty, jiggly state..]
- 28: What is your favorite soda?
- 29: What is a strange talent that you have?
- ---I got complimented on my gift basket skills at the baby shower today so we'll go with that.
- 30: How’s the weather right now?
- ---Awesome but windy.
- 31: Why did one of your friendships end?
- ---I thought about this today since I saw her mom at the shower. I don't really know. We had hung out a couple Thanksgivings ago but then I tried to invite her for movie day over Christmas break and to do gifts and she blew me off so I tried like two more times after that and nothing so I just let it be. She came to my mom's wake and wished me a happy birthday this year but that's not enough for me to try to be friends again. Honestly, I haven't missed it and my other friendships have become stronger as a result of not having her around. I also feel better not hanging out with someone who whines so much. I'm good.
- 32: Who do you miss right now?
- ---My mom. It's still surreal that I can't just call her or stop by and talk to her.
- 33: Why did your last relationship end?
- ---I don't really talk about relationships here.
- 34: Are you still figuring out who you are?
- ---Aren't we all? I think I'd worry more if I woke up and started to be confident in every choice and decision I made.
- 35: Have you ever been admitted to a hospital? Why?
- ---Yes. I had neck surgery when I was 8 for a lump in my neck. It was same day surgery though.
- 36: What is your favorite restaurant?
- ---Texas Roadhouse for a good steak and their rolls and cinnamon butter. Freddies for a burger and Italian ice.
- 37: What is word that you always seem to spell wrong?
- ---I was the St. Benedict 3rd grade Spelling Bee Champion so I don't have this problem.
- 38: Would ever adopt kids?
- ---Yes. My mom always talked about adopting a baby with Downs Syndrome and I've always thought about it too. For now, I follow a lot of families with cute Downs kids on instagram.
- 39: What is your favorite kind of pizza?
- ---There are a few places I like to get a slice but I love my pepperoni and green olive at Aurelio's the most.
- 40: What was your first thought when you woke up this morning?
- ---How long can I be lazy before I have to get ready for this shower?
- 41: When was the last time you got really really happy and why?
- ---It's super cheesy but I was holding Logan, who is 3, at the zoo when he saw a hippo for the first time. It was swimming so it was going under water then coming up for air. Every time it did, it made a sound and he would giggle so much when it happened. He kept cracking himself up by saying, "Hippo go shctch!" and giggle at himself. There's something about seeing something through a kid's eyes and their pure enjoyment about it that makes an experience that much better.
- 42: What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
- ---Goat meat probably.
- 43: How do you start a conversation?
- ---I do the robot then curtsey and point to the other person.
- 44: What’s a band you’ve been obsessed with lately?
- ---This doesn't really happen to me. I do like Imagine Dragons a lot but it's not obsessive enough to even go see them live..
- 45: Do you come from a family “of money?”
- ---No. My parents worked very hard to give us all that we needed and some of what we wanted.
- 46: Do you have a bucket list?
- ---Not written down but there's stuff I know I want to see and do.
- 47: What is your favorite series of books?
- ---Baby-Sitters Club. Now I just have favorite authors but none of them write series.
- 48: When was the last time you laughed so hard your stomach hurt?
- ---Friday at the lake. Good friends, funny kids and a beach all to ourselves.
- 49: Where do you go when you’re sad?
- ---Mostly to my couch. Sometimes to Target.
- 50: 5 random facts about yourself:
- ---Favorite school mascot I've had as a teacher is a Gecko. My toes are painted turquoise. I'm excited to go to the naprapath on Tuesday. I want to see The Giver. Every day I hope is the day that I hear Playing House is renewed.
- 26th July
My family has a camper in Wilmington at a “resort”. It’s not a resort. Trust me.
It’s nice though. The camper is a decent size and there a screened in porch and outside deck. There are three small lakes where you can swim, fish and use small boats. Very peaceful.
My parents would generally go every weekend in the summer, but my dad hasn’t made it there too much this year for obvious reasons. He still goes to do maintenance stuff but it’s been hard.
My friend first brought her boys out like four-ish years ago. They love coming to “Sara’s beach” and were begging for this year’s trip. We planned for today.
My friend has four kids: ages 2, 4, 8 and 10. With a frantic phone call yesterday, I knew the boys wouldn’t be coming. Supermom thought the had camp next weekend but surprise! They had to be there yesterday. It was pretty hilarious. So it was looking like it’d just be the girls.
On Wednesdays this summer, I’ve been hanging out for Oma Days with some family friends. Laurie was one of my mom’s best friends and I grew up with her four girls. We used to spend every Wednesday for like five straight summers at the roller rink because their church gave summer passes. Now I hang with them and their kids. There are 9 grand kids. Well, 9 and 8/9 since a new one is due within a month. You may have noticed my park/zoo pics with them.
This week, I mentioned to Laurie that I’d be going to the lake to meet my friend and her kids. Since she’s pretty close, I told her if she was up to it, I’d get her the address and she was free to visit for a bit. One of the girls lives with her so I mentioned to her too since her kids are 1 and 3. They decided to take the ride and the kids had a blast. They had the lake to themselves and even though we were chilly in the sand, the water was pretty warm. And of course by the time we were packing up, the sun finally came out.
Obviously, when you hang out with four kids under 4, you get some gems..
Hayley: Help me! I’m floating away!
Any adult: Stand up!
*Hayley stands up and is barely knee deep*
Saihan: *points to vanilla wafers* Can I have some Tuesday cookies?
Me: What’s a Tuesday cookie?
Saihan: We eat those cookies at Miss Nikki’s on Tuesdays.
Baby Kye loved the sand. Walking in it. Falling in it. Rolling in it. Eating it..
Hayley, who had climbed into the golf cart without anyone knowing: Is someone gonna drive me or what?
Saihan: Mommy, can I use your towel?
Connie: Why? You have your princess one right there.
Saihan: But that thing is soakin’ wet!
Kye repeatedly emptied the snack bin and would climb into it head first. I think it’s because it’s tin so when he’d make noises, he’d get feedback.
Iyari would not take more than three steps off the beach mat. If she hadn’t peed herself, she’d have been the only one to stay dry all day.
Kye and Iyari are the same weight and wear the same size clothes but Kye is a year younger.
[Hayley’s nickname is Fancy]
Saihan: You other name is Fancypants?
*when changing out of swimsuits before we left*
Hayley: The sand likes me.
Me: How do you know?
Hayley: Because it went in my butt.
Saihan, right when someone passed on their golf cart: Shake your naked butt, Iyari!
How do people not like kids?
- 25th July
- 24th July
- 23rd July
- 23rd July