I feel like the big thing in behavior management these days is the clip chart where you can move up as well as down throughout the day. I’m wondering if any other tumblr teachers have used this and how it has worked.
I’m an old school stoplight user. Probably from all my years of softball with 3 strikes, you’re out. Strike one is a verbal warning/reminder that I’m watching and something needs to change. Strike two is a move to yellow with small consequence (time out of recess or a center or possibly both). Strike three is the move to red with no recess, loss of center time (work gets made up later while others are having more of a “free time”), rule writing with a red note home stapled to it that needs to be returned the following day.
I like the idea of rewarding kids for great behavior. I do it all day with our PBIS system. Each kid gets a sticker chart. A filled chart gets them a trip to the office and a prize.
Does the moving up of clips as well as the sticker chart seem redundant?
Will kids figure out that they can be pains all morning then angels in the afternoon to get back to green? Or possibly vice versa?
Will I have more parents on my back that their perfect kids aren’t at the highest of the choices every single day?
I’m curious to hear from teachers that have used this or plan on using this method. I definitely know that different things work for different classrooms. What worked in my classroom last year may even need some tweaking for this year’s crew. I accept that.
As of right now, my behavior plan includes the following:
- PBIS sticker chart system (I am considering collecting all completed charts from the week and doing a raffle in the class on Fridays for a big prize)
- Stoplight with red notes home only (last year I had a couple parents that wanted daily reports so we worked something out but with most kids falling on green most of the time, it seemed like a waste of paper to have weekly/monthly report sheets)
- Class incentive - I’ve seen ideas using math links for when the whole group is being awesome. I may also add links on days when everyone stays on green, perfect attendance, etc. When the link chain gets to the floor, class gets a prize: movie, popcorn, popsicle, free time, etc.
Any feedback/thoughts are appreciated!
- coordinatingcardigans reblogged this from chopper-two-hopper and added:
- insideateachersmind likes this
- amiteachingyet reblogged this from chopper-two-hopper and added:
- kicksandgiggles likes this
- This was featured in #Education
- chopper-two-hopper posted this