My kids got in trouble at lunch. I have NEVER had a class get in trouble at lunch. Not teaching 8th grade or 3rd grade or Kindergarten. I may never have a perfect class but I pride myself on putting up a good showing in the halls and in public. We constantly get compliments from other teachers and in Specials about being well-behaved. A few friends have their moments, but as a class, I definitely work my butt off to whip them into shape.
When I walked into the gym, it was dead silent. We have lunch with one other K class and that class had suckers. I had three kids away from the group, one standing and just one with a sucker. My kid who speaks little English.
I got filled in on what went on. I heard burping. I heard throwing forks on the floor. I heard milk bubbles. I heard loud voices. I heard banging on the table.
So I did what any teacher would do, I made them apologize to the lunch aides and lunch lady and then.. I pretended to cry.
Oh, the guilt! I love the guilt.
They tried to console me. I told them I didn’t want to talk to people who made me sad.
They apologized. I said I didn’t want to hear it. They needed to worry about everyone in the lunchroom accepting their apologies.
I canceled the plan for a game we were going to play. “It’s brand new and it was going to be awesome! But I don’t play games with rude people.”
Rest time was the quietest it ever was. [I actually got a lot done..]
I made them write apology notes and draw pictures that they thought would cheer up sad people.
The whole time they were working, I just kept walking around mumbling, “I really hope these apologies work.” and “I hope that’s enough to cheer up Mrs. So-and-so.”
Sometimes it’s fun to be the bad guy.
PS: I’m not trying to make light of the situation. They were rude and they should feel bad. Which most did. I’m not going to let them get off lightly and with 5 year olds, sometimes you have to exaggerate your feelings to make sure they understand.
- tigerxsocks likes this
- serendipikitty likes this
- daedahhaven likes this
- doctorwhowatsonwinchester likes this
- infinite---serendipity reblogged this from chopper-two-hopper
- emsnerd likes this
- aimingforpretty likes this
- nevertrustaprussian reblogged this from chopper-two-hopper
- whatstheuseoflooking likes this
- christopherunfit likes this
- lempunz reblogged this from chopper-two-hopper and added:
- istoleyourboots likes this
- ballfourbasehit likes this
- malapropicninny likes this
- monasequeda reblogged this from chopper-two-hopper and added:
- monasequeda likes this
- tyler4768 likes this
- sexsexsex-dontforget-theviolence likes this
- fornoesis likes this
- littlecottonwood likes this
- hipposgorawr likes this
- adiemtocarpe likes this
- letthewordsfallout likes this
- This was featured in #Education
- positivelypersistentteach likes this
- chopper-two-hopper posted this